Weird Psychedelic Graphics with Leopard 10.5.2 update [unsolved]

Um, WTF?

psychedelic graphics error

I installed the Leopard 10.5.2 update today and tonight my computer started wigging out. It happened when I was copying files from a USB thumb drive, but continued after I ejected it and quit all applications. I got a screen shot of it which tells me my graphics card is not on the fritz and my computer is not overheating (because it was software related). Today I installed the newest build of parallels (5584), the newest build of webkit, and the 10.5.2 Leopard update, so it’s hard to tell what caused it.

The apps I had running were:

Finale 2008
ITunes
Parallels
Safari
Webkit
Firefox
Textedit
MOTU Audio monitor
Google Desktop
Quicksilver
Slimserver
Logic Pro
LAMP

I have no idea what caused it. Anyone else experiencing this?

Immediately after you install the 10.5.2 update, if you run software update again, you get an option to install the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0. Whether or not this fixes this problem time will tell.

9 Responses to “Weird Psychedelic Graphics with Leopard 10.5.2 update [unsolved]”

1. on 14 Feb 2008 at 9:44 am Ten

Occasionally I experienced the same thing before the update to 10.5.2…. Thought the problem was solved with the upadate. Apparently not. Now, typing, scrolling and and draging is very “jerky. Something is wrong.

2. on 14 Feb 2008 at 9:24 pm jordan314

That’s a shame. Did you try the graphics update? I haven’t had it since then but it’s only been a day. Are you running any of the same programs?

3. on 15 Feb 2008 at 7:25 pm Ten

Yup, did install the latest updates but my problems have not yet occurred since 10.5.2. It started with Leopard and have just happened, maybe, 10 times overall. I really don’t know what triggers it but in some occasions I know I’ve been running PhotoShop, EyeTv and/or Finder. Of the applications you are using I’m using only Safari and sometimes TextEdit with no problems as I remember. Maybe they been running in the background but never, as I recall, freaked-out when working directly with them.
    I really would like to know if this is software or hardware related (when still under Apple Care).

4. on 15 Feb 2008 at 10:34 pm jordan314

What kind of mac do you have? I have a 24 inch iMac…I think it’s software but if you have the same machine that would say something.

5. on 16 Feb 2008 at 11:58 am Ten

Hmm, no I have a MacBook Pro 17 Inch, first generation Intel Core Duo, ATY RadeonX1600 Graphic Card. So, I guess no, similarities there…well, check your video card model in case of…
    Bye the way, my installation of Leopard was a clean install with all updates and I’m not running any strange GUI mods.

6. on 19 Feb 2008 at 4:57 pm Ten

Alrighty then, here we go again. After installing 10.5.2 and the Graphics Update I thought this problem was gone. Yesterday, working with Photoshop it came back, not that colorful as before, more of a gray scale this time and it does not expands all over the screen, just flickering in the document window and goes away after awhile.

7. on 19 Feb 2008 at 5:09 pm jordan314

I don’t recall running photoshop but I use it a lot so it could be the culprit. My imac has a RadeonHD2600 and I’m running a secondary display off of it. Are you using CS3? I definitely think this is software related and not hardware.

8. on 19 Feb 2008 at 5:41 pm Ten

Yes, I’m running CS3. Just a few minutes ago I had the same flicker in a Finder window, a gray scale “burst” in a size of maybe 100 x50 pixel. 1 to 2 seconds then it was gone. Mail, Safari, Adium, Skitch running…no Photoshop.

9. on 20 Feb 2008 at 9:22 pm Ten

Happened again. This time when working in PS. EyeTV running as well. A small black thingy appeared. Looks like we left color mode with the 10.5.2 and they only appear in gray scale now…things going forward. Before 10.5.2 this was a rare problem for me…now its everyday…

Trackback this Post | Feed on comments to this Post